Re: IETF Last Call under RFC 3683 concerning JFC (Jefsey) Morfin

2006-01-20 11:33:26
"Tony" == Tony Finch <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at> writes:

    Tony> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Sam Hartman wrote:
    >>  What about suspending Jefsey from just the ietf-langugages
    >> list and possibly the ltru list?

    Tony> Isn't that what the last call says? It allows other list
    Tony> mangers to ban him too, but doesn't require it.

It does not have any additional checks on the actions of these list
maintainers.  In effect, it places Jefsey in a category where he can
be silenced by the sole discretion of any IETF list manager without
the sort of process review we've had here.

It's my claim that his actions on ietf-languages are unacceptable, but
that his actions on ietf, pesci-discuss and some other lists seem more
desirable than removing him from these lists.

So, I believe that giving managers of those lists the discretion to
ban Jefsey is an inappropriate restriction on the openness of our
process.

As such I believe it is appropriate and necessary to either use
existing processes or to create a new process that would allow us to
make reasonable restrictions.  I believe it is inappropriate for us to
use the tools we have if doing so would create an unfair or closed
process--even if they are the only tools we have.  I will expand more
on this last point in a response to Harald.