Mr. Smith was at the IETF (was RE: Mr. Smith goes to the IETF)

2006-01-22 19:57:20
At 17:07 22/01/2006, Margaret Wasserman wrote:
Hi Jefsey,
In this post and in at least one other recent post you talk about
filibustering on various mailing lists.  I would like to make sure that I
understand what you are talking about, because this is very important to my
assessment of the proposed PR-Action. Prior to these posts, I did not
understand why you were making so many clearly off-topic posts on these
lists, but I did not assume that you were intentionally attempting to
disrupt the work of the IETF.

In the U.S. filibustering is a tactic used in the U.S. Senate that abuses a
loophole in the Senate rules to _intentionally_ block the work of the senate
for some period of time.  Filibustering is not a democratic right, and it is
not a tactic that, IMO, should be used, encouraged or allowed on IETF
mailing lists.

I have read this post and other recent posts of yours as admissions that you
are _intentionally_ disrupting the work of the
ietf-languages(_at_)iana(_dot_)org list
and the LTRU WG mailing list via a tactic similar to filibustering.  Is that
a correct interpretation of your messages?

Dear Margaret,
I apologized for the confusion I unwillingly created. I wrongly used the word "filibustering". "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" and "Davy Crockett" pictures give a different and noble idea of "filibustering". I took it for what a lonesome democratic, dedicated and imaginative "freebooter" (flibustier in French) would do, to force positive results, against a powerful lobby defending private interests' status-quo.

I was explained by lawyers I was mistaken. They explained me what Harald engaged was a filibuster to interfere with my current IAB and IETF appeals. One said "Mr. Smith was at the IETF". They called my action to restlessly force quality, ethic and adequacy "smart activism", etc.

As a user, shopping for quality solutions for my digital global ecosystem, I want (and obtained) simple things:

(1) the RFC 3066 bis pollution to be cleaned. Because it hurt my job and the whole world (with no real advantage for its proponents). I obtained this through that "smart activism" (the most efficient and less disruptive way I found) at the IETF, the WSIS, etc.. My mails and attitude (looking a boring fool) forced the WG to clean its document, without starting a conflict where my supporters would have joined. I made a large number of contributions (read them and tell me if they are off-topic): the WG usually adopted/confirmed the opposite. This is not always in the text, but the responses are in the records. For further user's FAQ. I did not want to convince (I oppose a well established Unicode Globalization US-centric doctrine). I just carried QA. Now, other generalised language naming (endorsed by the Tunis documents) and documentation propositions can now interoperate with it.

(2) however such interoperation still calls for:

(a) an interface and a minimum level of security RFC 3066 bis does not provide. Hence the IESG appeal. If you and IAB deny my propositions in that area everyone will know (security) and we will patch the interface.

(b) the IANA registry cooperation: no problem when the ietf-languages IANA list is operated, published and controlled by the IANA, and respect the Tunis global agreement for multilingualisation. This will be a loss of control for its current owners. Hence their anti-EU trap and my "5th" ban: should I really waste more time and bore everyone appealing against this new vaporware? I can appeal if you really want it...

(3) the demonstration the IETF wants to deliver the ethical, pertinent and multilingual innovation we need. This explains most of my ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mails. Look at them: I suggest, prod, etc. without initiating debates on issues where there no real thinking yet. I understand conservative minds do not like it, but it is quite efficient in establishing relations with open minded smart people, and in obtaining results. I was going away without noise. Now may be Harald will make a few more to get interested in the architecture TF some of these people plan with me?

Take care.
jfc