Re: FW: IETF Last Call under RFC 3683 concerning JFC (Jefsey) Morfin

2006-01-20 10:08:33
From: Sam Hartman [mailto:hartmans-ietf(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu]

This is why I chose to give the necessary time to common sense to prevail,
in exposing their mistakes in a way they could forced to correct some of
them. The democratic method for that is work and filibustering.
Filibustering is not pleasant. But it permitted to obtain what users'
protection demanded:

Excuse me? I am the IETF Language Tags reviewer, and the list in question for discussion of RFC 3066 is there, basically, for *me*. People propose tags, there is some discussion, and we process or reject the proposals.

This is NOT the United States Senate and House of Representatives. You may think that filibustering is normal and appreciated and democratic. It is not. Morfin offers us nothing but bollocks, and it interferes with me and my work and I have on more than one occasion thought about resigning because of Morfin's poisonousness.

Now stop and think. I'm an expert professional with some reputation who has earned a certain amount of respect for my expertise. I am busy, too busy for bullshit, but happy enough to try to do a good job on for instance RFC 3066.

So who do you want to be nice to? Hm? Whom are the rules protecting? What is your goal?

As such, I agree that we need to adopt a strategy that prevents Jefsey from
disrupting our processes excessively.

Ban him.

I'd first ask why repeated 30-day suspensions are ineffective.

Because every time the 30 days is up this crap starts all over and I have to waste time writing an e-mail to Harald saying "Ban him." I am, you will note, wasting time now dealing with Morfin, because I have to write to you about it.

How would a six month suspension be insufficient? Do we really need an unlimited suspension to get work done?

It would make me happier. You may not care about that.

Finally, if we somehow all convince ourselves that asking chairs to revisit
suspending Jefsey every six months is unacceptable then what about creating
way to suspend Jefsey from langtags related issues but not other IETF lists?

Whatever it takes.