Re: FW: IETF Last Call under RFC 3683 concerning JFC (Jefsey) Morfin

2006-01-21 13:17:32
This is NOT the United States Senate and House of Representatives.
You may think that filibustering is normal and appreciated and
democratic. It is not.

This is the core of the issue.  The point of this forum is to get work
done.  The rules for participation are not hard to figure out, and are
not hard to abide by.  You can be quite passionate and even fairly
obnoxious and not come anywhere close to the point where anyone would
suggest banning you.  This isn't an issue of free speech.  There are a
million places on the Net open to anyone who wants to say anything.
The issue is maintaining an environment where the vast majority of
members who want to get work done can do so.

I cannot tell you how many lists I've been on that have been in
exactly our situation, paralyzed by one or two people who skate along
the edge of being kicked off, choking the list with clouds of
irrelevant smoke.  There's always the same arguments, if we were
disciplined enough to ignore the noise, it wouldn't matter, everyone
has a right to say something, it's about personalities rather than
substance, etc., etc. You all know them as well as I do.

When this happens, I've only ever seen two possible outcomes.  Either
the smoke generators are ejected, or the productive members leave.

R's,
John