Re: Meeting Survey Results

2006-01-25 11:39:17
In message
<1929B8C5B318524495727D8A241DAFB2034C9D61(_at_)NAEAMILLEX03VA(_dot_)nadsusea(_dot_)na
ds.navy.mil>, "Odonoghue, Karen F CIV B35-Branch" writes:
Well, in theory, 802.11a should scale better because of the
shorter range and the additional non-overlapping channels.
Now, I'm not guaranteeing that there won't be other issues we
haven't identified. We haven't had the density on 11a yet to
find the problems we don't know about.  What we do know is that
thus far folks using 11a on IETF networks have been happier than
folks using 11b.

Yup.  And the difference between theory and practice is that in theory,
there is no difference, but in practice there is...

I agree with your observation -- 802.11a users are more satisfied with
the network.  I made sure that I got an 802.11a-capable interface when
I bought a new laptop.  But I'm reluctant to tell everyone to do that
without more assurance that it will solve the problem.  We've heard
lots of hypotheses over the years on what to do about 802.11b/g,
including lower-power access points, more attention to channel
assignment, and getting people to turn off ad hoc mode.  None of those
have solved the problem.  Will switching to 802.11a?  Is there other
prior art we need to look at?