RE: Meeting Survey Results

2006-01-24 15:35:28
Jordi,

With the RF characteristics of 802.11b/g (including the fact that
there are only three non-overlapping channels (in the US) and they all
exist in the already overcrowded 2.4 GHz freq range) and the density
of users in the meeting rooms at the IETF, you cannot "warrantee"
a level of performance. I attend both IEEE 802 and IETF meetings and
both struggle with wireless coverage at those densities for this
very basic physical reason. The more transmitters you have
transmitting on the same frequencies in the same space, the more noise
you will have. The more noise you have the more performance issues
you will experience. Technology and product evolution will improve
the situation, but we have to work with what we have.

While 802.11a hasn't overtaken 802.11b/g in general, it is much
better suited for our environment. There are more non-overlapping
channels, it operates in the less crowded 5 GHz range, and the
range is shorter. Thus you can deploy more APs in the same space
without contributing to the overall noise issue.

We are suggesting that users that are willing and able should
consider investing in 802.11a cards for a happier IETF network
experience.  Anything we can do to reduce the level of noise at
will make the experience better for the remaining users.

Past and current NOC teams plan to deploy the best network they
can with the resources available. Donations of equipment and
expertise are always welcome.

Karen