Re: Beyond China's independent root-servers -- Expanding and Fixing Domain Notation

2006-03-05 01:26:09

On 3 mar 2006, at 18.15, Joe Baptista wrote:

Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:

To best of my knowledge, that there are no new Chinese root- servers - despite what the press says. And at least we have not seen a drop in queries to our anycast instance in Beijing yet so there even seems to be data to support that...

There are. Check Peter Dambiers messages for details.

Exactly what does he prove there? Please explain....

Second - you will notice an increase in what you guys at the roots call I think illegal or erroneous TLDs - which see

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/02/05/dud_queries_swamp_us_internet/

I see no increase in these, but we do see a lot of them in general...

Incidentally - since my article was written I have not seen any further studies concerning root traffic from CAIDA or anyone else. In fact root operators don't really share much with the world - do they?

Of query data? No and this a complex issue, at least for us that involves local laws regarding privacy and personal integrity. As for qps data, sharing that in real-time is at least by us considered a security issue. That said, we will as of the end of this quarter start publishing a quarterly newsletter that among other things will include some data over the past quarter.

- kurtis -