Re: Beyond China's independent root-servers -- Expanding and Fixing Domain Notation

2006-03-03 10:35:27
Mark Andrews wrote:

        They are still a problem whether you think they should exist
        or not.  The problem is that they are added unilaterally
        and people using them expect everyone else to be able to
        resolve them as well.  The method of adding them was wrong
        as it does not scale.  If every language added the equivalent
        you would have hundreds of sets of nameservers that you
        would have to track down and add to your own configuration.
I agree with you - it does not scale well - over time root which fail to carry the chinese TLD labels will get swamped with quereis. However - I completely disagree with your view that the method used to add them was wrong. It was very right for the chinese to act unilaterally. The alterative, open, or public set the standards for TLD holders and root system to act unilaterrally.

The chinese approached ICANN some five years ago to have their TLDs included in the IANA root. ICANN gave them the finger and they much like the open root TLD operators gave ICANN the boot. Now mind you the chinese have a much bigger boot then the open roots - so I anticipate this is a much more painful experience.

Give my luv to Paul
Joe Baptista