Re: About cookies and refreshments cost and abuse

2006-03-23 17:51:33
Hi,

I will like to make an observation about something that captured my
attention the last few meetings.

I frequently see in meetings people filling up their back-packs with drinks,
fruits and cookies. I'm not talking just about one extra drink. I'm talking
some times even about people leaving the meeting area after getting the
back-pack full in the afternoon break.

Um, how do you know this isn't a "designated fetcher" carrying stuff back to
some design team huddled over a table off in some corner somewhere?

This is not at all unreasonable - I've done it myself numerous times for groups
in the past and I've had it done for me several times. In fact earlier today
someone was kind enough to grab an extra drink for me, which I then
consumed on the spot.

I will call this abuse towards the rest of us.

I don't think suggesting that we don't get the cookies and drinks or that
they should be paid as an extra, if you want them, is reasonable.

Agreed. I used to be less sensitive to needs in this area, but these days I
have to have a little snack to get me through or I start to feel sick. Having
everyone run off to fetch such things does not scale very well.

However, is clear that is a *VERY* important cost of EACH meeting, and seems
unreasonable to don't pay attention to this and to try to serve our real
needs, instead of being in the situation of over/underestimating that, which
brings to the situation of not having cookies for all of us.

So my suggestion to be reasonable and fair to all, will be to provide
together with our registration pack, a given number of refreshment tickets,
enough to cover the average needs.

I suspect the handling of such tickers would cost quite a bit more than the
food it would save. But by all means price it out and see.

                                Ned