Re: Last Call: Proposed 2008 - 2010 IETF Meeting Calendar

2006-05-17 06:31:29
John,
Thanks for the feedback.  Responses in line.

John C Klensin wrote:

Ray,

I don't know if there are other problems, but the events.cal
list appears to have not been kept up to date:
As the opening paragraph for the page ( http://www.ietf.org/meetings/events.cal.html ) states: The information below has been submitted to the IETF Secretariat as a means of notifying readers of future events. Readers are requested to send in dates of events that are appropriate for this calendar section. Please send submissions, corrections, etc., to: meeting-planning(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org <mailto:meeting-planning(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>

We are not staffed to monitor others' calendars and rely on others to submit and correct data

        * IETF 66 appears to have a location, but the calendar
        does not show it (we can't blame another organization
        for not telling us about  that one).
Correct.  Needs to be updated.

I could go on, but perhaps that makes the point.

While those schedules are earlier than any you have asked about,
locations are an issue in whether or not conflicts occur and I
hope coordination (not merely looking at calendars) is occurring
with organizations with whom avoiding conflicts is critical.
Again taking a near-term example, the time-adjacency of the
ICANN meeting last March 26-31 with IETF 64 from the 19th-24th
would have been a major inconvenience were they in the same part
of the world; when one was in Dallas, TX, USA and the other in
Wellington, NZ, the times turn into a conflict.  I notice that
we have IETF 68 marked 18-23 March 2006, location TBD, and ICANN
26-30 March, location "Europe".   Are you endeavoring to assure
that they are at least on the same or adjacent continents?
As I announced on May 3rd, IETF 68 will be in Europe - unless, as for IETF 67, we cannot find a suitable and financially satisfactory venue.

Moving out into the 2008 time frame, I see similar adjacencies
between ANSI T11 and IETF 71 and again between T11 and IETF 72
and 73 (in all three cases, adjacent dates, neither location
announced, but it is a safe bet that T11 will meet in North
America).

I don't know whether T11 is on your "must avoid" or "should
avoid" lists or whether there are similar relationships going
forward.
They are on "Should Avoid" list, http://www.ietf.org/meetings/clash_list.html ,which was adopted by the IAOC after input from the IESG and WG Chairs. Recommendations regarding that list can be made to iad(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_)

Personally, I consider avoiding conflicts, or even
close adjacencies, with ICANN to be of higher priority than most
or all other bodies because they are, as far as I know, the only
to which IETF formally appoints a Board Liaison and a voting
Nomcom member, and on which we are dependent for critical
services (the IANA function).

ICANN is on the "Must Avoid" list and their known dates and any feedback have been and will be considered for this proposed calendar.

 But, if we are going to have
back-to-back meetings with any critical group (or, IMO, with the
same group three times in a row), dates are not quite good
enough to know whether conflicts exist.
I agree. In the 3 May announcement Europe, North America/Asia, and North America/Asia were identified for the 3 meetings in 2007. I believe we can identify target continents for 2008 - 2010 as well - of course, implementation will be subject to identifying and closing on financially acceptable, suitable venues with appropriate Hosts.
best,
Ray

regards,
  john

--On Wednesday, 17 May, 2006 06:58 -0400 Ray Pelletier