Re: Last Call: Proposed 2008 - 2010 IETF Meeting Calendar

2006-05-17 09:28:08

John C Klensin wrote:
This is just my personal opinion, but I don't think that is good
enough.   If we have "must avoid" entities, then we ought to be
establishing administrative<-> administrative liaisons/ contact
points as well as technical ones, we ought to be proactively
sending out lists and requesting updates before we make
decisions, etc.

Exactly.

This is a community. It extends beyond the boundaries of the IETF and the IETF is not the "center' of that community. The model of passively waiting for a random person to notify event planners of conflicts should be a fallback mechanism, not a primary means of coordination among principal organizations within the community.

There is plenty of history with IETF-related scheduling conflicts to make it possible to list the other organizations with which coordination should be proactive.

d/