Re: are we willing to do change how we do discussions in IETF? (was: moving from hosts to sponsors)

2006-06-24 08:36:10
but rather, how to make better use of its time by producing a
specification that was more relevant. ...
Apparently you think that an artist is the best judge of the relevance
of his own work.

I find the assumption that external reviewers are better able to score a
project's "relevance", whatever that is, rather than the people who are
doing it and plan to use it, truly breathtaking.

- partly because it's consuming energy from those who would work on more
useful goals if they were chartered, partly because of the need for
damage control,

This must be a different group of people from the ones who I find on the
DKIM list.  If we wanted to work on something else, we would be doing so,
and although I may overrate our collective wisdom, I don't think we're all
working on DKIM purely because we are too dim to imagine anything else.

and partly because of the widespread assumption that since IETF has
chartered DKIM that DKIM is "the" solution that will be promoted by
IETF.

Seems to me that if it weren't so difficult to charter and complete WGs,
there would be more of them, and people would be less likely to
overestimate the importance of one or another of them.  But I wouldn't
generalize too much about DKIM, or MARID, or ASRG, because people have
been looking for a magic spam bullet for 10 years and nothing we tell them
is going to stop that.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
"I shook hands with Senators Dole and Inouye," said Tom, disarmingly.