Re: are we willing to do change how we do discussions in IETF? (was: moving from hosts to sponsors)

2006-06-24 05:59:47
On 24 Jun 2006 10:58:31 -0000
John Levine <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com> wrote:

 Such as, a requirement for formal cross-area review of the design
goals document and of preliminary specifications as a prerequisite
before producing a reference implementation.

The IETF standards process is already so slow and uncertain that
people throw up their hands in exasperation and go around it.

True.  Which is why it's necessary to handle the reviews in a pipelined rather
than a stop-and-wait fashion.  But part of the reason IETF's process is so slow
is that the
only meaningful checks we place are at the end - so a working group typically
labors to the point of exhaustion without having received any external
feedback, so when the feedback does arrive the working group is so
dysfunctional that it's nearly incapable of fixing anything (and it is often in
denial about what is wrong).  Providing more early feedback will speed up the
process rather than slow it down.

Keith