Fostering reviews (was Re: are we willing to do change how we do discussions in IETF?)

2006-06-24 12:31:54
Hi Iljitsch,

I don't know about "narrow community", but I agree that good reviews are essential. Reviewing is hard, especially with long documents / complex specifications (unfortunately it still seems some RFC writers are paid by the word) and also when there are many dependencies. And there's essentially nothing in it for the reviewer, so only people who are very much in favor or very much against something bother, with the former probably not being in the best position to uncover hidden problems.

In my opinion, if the IETF could make it worth someone's while in one way or another to do a thorough review, that would help a lot.

I very much agree with this

I think this is the way to improve quality
there have been some initiatives for this, see http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-handley-doc-market-00.txt but i guess it didn't progress...

we should try to figure out some mechanisms to foster reviews... do you have any ideas?

Regards, marcelo