Re: Fostering reviews (was Re: are we willing to do change how we do discussions in IETF?)

2006-06-26 00:09:45

El 26/06/2006, a las 9:56, Dave Crocker escribió:

marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:
I don't know about "narrow community", but I agree that good reviews
are essential. ...

In my opinion, if the IETF could make it worth someone's while in one
way or another to do a thorough review, that would help a lot.

I very much agree with this

I think this is the way to improve quality
there have been some initiatives for this, see
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-handley-doc-market-00.txt but i
guess it didn't progress...

we should try to figure out some mechanisms to foster reviews... do you
have any ideas?

The first effort was the SIRS project, that was declared a failure after only 4
months (most of which were during the summer) in spite of recruiting a
substantial list of highly experienced participants. The second was a working group that took a year to develop a scheme that was essentially identical to sirs, but did a nice job of dissipating community energy for the effort.

too bad... perhaps we should try another effort in this area... but we should wait for the summer to end this time...

The "incentive" that something like SIRS offered was classification as a senior
contributor.  This was neither a small point nor a small benefit (IMO).

what was the benefit of becoming a senior contributor?

Thanks, marcelo

d/