Re: Fostering reviews (was Re: are we willing to do change how we do discussions in IETF?)

2006-06-26 03:52:39

marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:
isn't there already some "general area" reviewers that perform this type
of function? I thought there were....

as I recall when that was established, they are related to IETF Last Call and
hence are useless for a working group development process.

In both cases, I would think that neither has any sort of veto.
Rather, they
must sway by convincing rather than dictating.  This applies both to the
decision-making by the wg and decision-making by the IESG (about the
wg output.)

what do you think about these more aggresive forms of looking for
feedback, like to one in Handley & Rescorla draft?

Review early and often (within reason.)  Specific templates for review schedules
must vary according to the nature of the work and the wg process that produces
it.

The idea of a formal pseudo-currency strikes me as clever, complex and
unproductive. Extra overhead without extra beneift, other than in theory.

There is no demonstrated need for such an incentive/reinforcement mechanism and
I haven't seen any basis for believing it would work.  (On the average, IETF
discussions about human behavior tend to make a point of avoiding any empirical
basis. A bit like saying that fat pipes eliminate the need for queues in
routers, but if you have the queues, they must have room for lots of entries.
Two assertions that are empirically demonstrated to be incorrect, for the price
of one.)

By way of anecdotal observation, my experience is that any serious working group
effort that is able to develop a reasonable amount of community interest is able
to obtain meaningful review when it seeks it.  I'm sure the track record is not
perfect, but my impression is that it is quite good.

The problem is with getting groups to seek those reviews and heed their results
-- including the result of not being able to get reviews, since that
demonstrates a lack of serious community interest -- not with establishing yet
more complex formal process.

d/

ps. I'm sure I'm over my daily posting limit, so I'll stop on this point.  Let's
let the U.S. wake up. (Suggestion referring to time zones, not politics.)