Re: Fostering reviews (was Re: are we willing to do change how we do discussions in IETF?)

2006-06-26 00:51:12

marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:
The "incentive" that something like SIRS offered was classification as
a senior contributor.  This was neither a small point nor a small benefit
(IMO).

what was the benefit of becoming a senior contributor?

Idealistic answer:  The personal satisfaction of meaningful contribution.
(There is a rumor that active IETF participants are highly motivated by this
goal.  So, the incentive is provide explicit satisfaction of it beyond their
narrow areas of primary activity.)

Selfish:  Public recognition.  (Good for both one's ego and potentially one's
employment status.)

d/

ps. The ideal and the selfish are complementary and not at all negative, IMO.
But, then, I believe all idealism is driven by a form of self-satisfaction...