Re: are we willing to do change how we do discussions in IETF?

2006-06-24 03:09:02
At 04:26 24/06/2006, Keith Moore wrote:
Heaven forbid the internet Engineering task force should actually do engineering. Remember engineering? That's the discipline of producing efficient designs that meet predetermined goals and requirements.

IETF is already plunging toward irrelevance at terminal velocity. The only way to arrest the descent is for it to start producing better quality and more relevant specifications. A good start would be for it to actually pay some attention to the problem definition and rough specification phases and to conduct them in an environment where they can get meaningful review outside of a narrow community.

IETF deliverable user QA.

This is the main thing I am interested in (in my Multilingual/Multilateral Internet area). Sometimes it calls for some weak to strong strategy to obtain better (yet not respected) texts. This is probably because there are not so many interested yet in that area (what is another issue).

However the real problem I met is the now structural disinterest of the IESG when considering a WG document to know if it matches the WG Charter. Producing efficient designs is something one can only try, but striving to meet predetermined goal and requirements should be a demanded prerequisite.

I wandered why the Internet standard process degraded (IMHO) that way. I feel it is because the IESG/IAB are not assigning predetermined goals and specifying requirements when chartering. They indicate an area to be considered. So the WG is actually to consider the whole issue (not only engineering but also market study, etc). This leads to postdetermined goals and requirements. The IAB/IETF consider the "geography" of the proposed WG, not the "political" motivations of its proponents. Then the IESG only considers if the delivery fits the geography of the WG area, and if it has an inner logic. This is probably because they have not the time/resources to verify if that logic fits the logic of the Internet architecture (they made too complex to understand in proceeding this way). jfc