Re: Now there seems to be lack of communicaiton here...

2006-08-31 11:12:20
First I should say that being chair of Nomcom when an innocent
mistake like this happens must be a nightmare with every possible
action being subject to criticism. Andrew therefore has a completely
thankless task in resolving this, and I will support what ever he
decides to do.

I cannot see how the presence of the an ineligible candidate that was
not selected biased* the results, and I think that the result should
have stood - indeed RFC3777 seems to say that it should stand.
I am however concerned that the re-run decision, and now
the decision about whether we continue with the re-run or not,
opens the door to human intervention in a way that the RFC
was supposed to design out.

Given where we are, perhaps the way forward is to throw a two
sided dice - using our usual method. If the answer is 0 we continue
with the previous - valid selection - if the answer is 1 we rerun
the selection. That way no human can determine the outcome
of this ongoing selection process.

- Stewart

* Yes - it changed the result - but the important thing is that it will not
have biased it because of the random nature of the selection from
the pool.