Re: Last Call: 'Procedures for protocol extensions and variations' to BCP (draft-carpenter-protocol-extensions)

2006-09-06 11:25:05
Keith is as often the case dead wrong.

Phill, when you criticize me, it only serves to enhance my reputation. :)

HTTP works fine over non TCP/IP protocols and the ability to do so was pretty
important in 1991 when IP was not considered the one true protocol.

Yes, HTTP can work fine over other transports.    That is however of
little relevance to the fact that the vast majority of the web's
content is only accessible via IPv4 and TCP.  Imagine a not-too-distant
world, where there is a significant set of resources accessible only
through TCP/IPv4, another set accessible only via TCP/IPv6, and another
set accessible via either.  In such a world a significant portion of
the web's resources would not be accessible by any client that didn't
have access to both IPv4 and IPv6, except via a proxy.  Proxies could
and probably would be set up, but experience seems to indicate that
there are enough problems with providing for and locating such proxies
to make them seem less than viable as a general solution.

A significant proportion of HTTP traffic takes place over non TCP protocols
today.

yes, but only as a client-to-proxy protocol.  you won't find many web resources
hosted on cell phones.

Keith