Re: Last Call: 'Procedures for protocol extensions and variations' to BCP (draft-carpenter-protocol-extensions)

2006-09-06 16:33:52
At 21:55 06/09/2006, Sam Hartman wrote:
I don't think anyone is proposing changing the definition: For the
purposes of this section, "interoperable" means to be functionally
equivalent or interchangeable components of the system or process in i
which they are used.

I think we are discussing consequences of that definition that are
non-obvious.  RFC 2026 requires that two interoperable implementations
exist.  However I believe that there is a strong IETF consensus that
our specs need to support universal interoperability.

Oouhaou!

are:
- functionally _equivalent_
- interchangeable