Re: Please make the madness stop (was: a whole bunch of flames)

2006-09-12 10:33:18
On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 09:44:34AM -0700, todd glassey wrote:
From: "Spencer Dawkins" <spencer(_at_)mcsr-labs(_dot_)org>
I'm following up to Carl's note, but I'm speaking to the community.

You mean to this Mailing List - and only this Mailing List - you are NOT
speaking to the IETF Community or to those who will be effected outside this
WG by these actions are you?

First: this mailing list is not attached to a WG.  Spencer is speaking
to the IETF mailing list that is intended to reach the the broadest
possible audience and on which discussion is encouraged:
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_)
The closest real world analogy would be addressing the IETF plenary, but
the mailing list is intended to reach an even broader audience - you've
"met" Noel Chiappa on it who almost never attends an IETF.  This forum
is specifically created for the discussion of IETF-wide concerns.  It is
the highest-profile discussion list in the IETF.  It's easy to find,
free to join, and archived.  Anyone interested in the IETF workings
should be on it.  Of course someone can be overlooked, but the vast
majority of interested parties knows that this is the right list to
read.

When you indicate that you don't understand the forum you're addressing
(ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org), it creates the impression that you don't understand
the
IETF very well.  That's the way I see it, YMMV.

More importantly, I think you should take a deep breath and look at how
worked up you're getting.  If your goal is a reasoned discussion and
reform of some policy wrong that you feel needs to be righted, your
presentation is significantly harming your ability to do so, IMHO.  I
also suspect that your health and happiness are suffering because of it.

A little advice: stop posting for a while, get a little distance from
the in-fighting, and get yourself back on kilter.  I think your
arguments and your health could both stand a little perspective.  That
may sound condescending, but the advice is well meant and freely given.
Take it or leave it, but I won't argue about it.

--
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc