Re: "Discuss" criteria

2006-12-29 05:50:24
Your (c) criterion implies that a BCP-like mechanism is not acceptable. Here, the difference between BCP -- with its IETF-wide appoval -- versus ION -- with is IESG approval -- is at least an interesting distinction. On the other hand, this particular draft is, if anything, likely to demonstrate why IETF-wide approval is a particularly good idea, since its goal is to hold IESG members accountable to more stringent criteria than are currently in force for blocking approval of working group output. In addition the particular criteria listed in the -discuss draft contain a number of items that reasonably could be viewed as too stringent, too lenient, too vague, too low-level, or the like. The public process of gaining community consensus seems important for the credibility of the IETF process.

Just a side note here - I can't remember which IETF it was, but this draft was presented to the Working Group Chairs continuing education lunch so long ago that the presenters were Allison Mankin, Jon Peterson, and Margaret Wasserman, so the possibilities are IETF 65 in Dallas or earlier, and at that time, the IESG was using the criteria in some version of the draft as the definition of an allowable DISCUSS in balloting.

As one of the IESG narrative scribes, I hear ADs referring to these criteria fairly often on telechats (probably an average of every six weeks or so, but the timing is only my impression).

So, some version of this critera has been "currently in force" for a while now.

Dave is probably correct that the specific criteria are of broader interest than just ADs, WG chairs, editors, and process wonks, and might become even more perfect with broader review, but that's another issue.

And, since the criteria are public, I'm sure the IESG would be interested in feedback on the criteria, especially now that WGs and editors have more than a year of experience interacting with IESG under these rules of engagement. That URL, again, is http://www.ietf.org/u/ietfchair/discuss-criteria.html.

Thanks,

Spencer