Re: Withdrawal of Approval and Second Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

2007-03-31 07:32:50

--On Saturday, 31 March, 2007 08:49 -0400 Scott W Brim
<swb(_at_)employees(_dot_)org> wrote:

On 03/30/2007 13:56 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
For whatever it is worth, I think we need to step carefully
around the distinction Paul makes above: there are almost
certainly circumstances in which we should accept a broader
grant of rights conditional on standardization and a narrower
one if the technology is not standardized.  I wish the IPR WG
were paying a bit more attention to this sort of issue.

This is a WG decision.  IPR WG could produce guidance on the
subject, but that's all.  What are you looking for?

While I have an opinion on this particular case, I am more
concerned about our precedents and decision-making processes
than I am about it.   Paul's note seemed to be saying "the IETF
should never accept material if IPR conditions are contingent on
standardization".  I don't know if that is what he intended, but
I consider such a principle to be dangerous to us if
generalized".

I believe that any time the IETF considers adoption of an
encumbered technology we need to weight importance of
standardizing any technology in the area and the availability of
alternatives against the particular encumbrances.  I believe
that is the case whether the issue is particular IPR terms (such
as RAND iff standardization) or  the specifics of the
encumbrances.  I believe that decision ultimately has to be an
IETF one, not merely that of an individual WG.

But I believe that advice from the appropriate WG is useful to
the community in determining whether something should be
standardized in spite of the IPR entanglements.  To some extent,
if a WG is given the opportunity to examine a particular
proposal and chooses to not take it up and comment, that
provides part of the answer: absent strong evidence from other
sources, the proposal isn't valuable enough to standardize
especially given IPR restrictions.