Re: Withdrawal of Approval and Second Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

2007-03-31 08:21:27
Jeff,
As for informational vs an independent submission, I think there is a factor to be considered. It seems to me that an informational IETF document is a fine way to say "this is a good idea, and we think this is the right way to do FOO, but we can't actually recommend it (for whatever reason)". For example, we have at least one document that defines the use of elliptic curve cryptography with one of our protocols, which is informational because the working group that produced it didn't feel they could recommend it as a standard due to the hairy IPR issues surrounding that technology.
Most people outside of this organization can't tell the difference between a standard and an informational document. They simply look at the label "RFC" and are done. And now you are trying to cut the line even thinner?

Eliot