Re: Withdrawal of Approval and Second Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

2007-03-29 13:34:04
"Ted" == Ted Hardie <hardie(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> writes:

    Ted> At 1:05 PM -0400 3/29/07, Sam Hartman wrote:
    >> The problem is that this work is outside the charter of the TLS
    >> working group.  So, I don't think asking them to take on the
    >> document would be appropriate.  I also don't think rechartering
    >> TLS for this purpose would be appropriate.

    Ted> It is actually fairly common for working groups to provide
    Ted> advice to the community on work that is related to their
    Ted> charter and not on it.  If you do not wish to amend the TLS
    Ted> charter, you can make a positive evaluation by TLS a
    Ted> necessary step before you agree to sponsor this document;
    Ted> since that would not make the draft a work product of the
    Ted> working group, I don't think that would require a full
    Ted> re-charter.  A re-charter would allow you, obviously, to move
    Ted> change control into the WG and allow competing proposals to
    Ted> be put forward.  That might be useful at this point, but it
    Ted> also doesn't seem required.

Ted, I'd like to do this.  However I could use some help figuring out
exactly what question I'm asking the TLS working group to provide
advice on.  I guess it could be as simple as "Do you think
draft-housley-tls-authz-extns is worth publishing on the standards
track?"

Would that be the right direction?