Re: Withdrawal of Approval and Second Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

2007-03-29 11:24:38
At 1:05 PM -0400 3/29/07, Sam Hartman wrote:
The problem is that this work is outside the charter of the TLS
working group.  So, I don't think asking them to take on the document
would be appropriate.
I also don't think rechartering TLS for this purpose would be appropriate.

It is actually fairly common for working groups to provide advice to the
community on work that is related to their charter and not on it.  If you
do not wish to amend the TLS charter, you can make a positive evaluation
by TLS a necessary step before you agree to sponsor this document; since
that would not make the draft a work product of the working group, I don't
think that would require a full re-charter.  A re-charter would allow you,
obviously, to move change control into the WG and allow competing
proposals to be put forward.  That might be useful at this point, but it
also doesn't seem required.

Basically, I think this has moved to the stage where evaluation by a community
of developers and potential licensees is the best way forward.  The review
by the IETF community as a whole does not seem to be providing this.  You
can, of course, just drop it as a result.  But if you are concerned to get a
more
realistic up/down evaluation, then having TLS do the evaluation or chartering
some WG to do the work seem to be the obvious choices.

                                Ted