Should I* opinions be afforded a special status? (Re: [saag] Declining the ifare bof for Chicago)

2007-06-12 12:18:26
Folks,

If you want the history of this thread, please see the SAAG mailing list archive.

Thomas,

Your ideas that the "IETF is a meritocracy" and that "I* opinions are afforded special status" are to say the least worry me. How do those, I wonder, fit with what's written in the IETF mission web page http://www.ietf.org/u/ietfchair/ietf-mission.html?

Your slides on "Bringing new work to the IETF" presented at the Prague meeting that I have just looked at today also seem to be in contradiction to the IETF mission. Your idea that some people's opinions are afforded more weight than others' is certainly not how the consensus process works. Do smarter people hum louder or get to raise both of their hands? What are you saying?

We do not select our leaders for their technical knowledge alone. See the oral tradition part of 3777.

The idea that somehow the ADs and the IAB are above the rest of the contributors is just wrong. They are judges of consensus when appropriate and the consensus better be independently verifiable. In the end, the entire process works with the IETF Community's consensus where the IAB and the IESG get to prioritize the work.

regards,
Lakshminath