Re: Should I* opinions be afforded a special status? (Re: [saag] Declining the ifare bof for Chicago)

2007-06-24 09:20:24

Ted Hardie wrote:
That does not mean the IETF leadership is itself a meritocracy; it's not.

I believe there remains a disconnect between what people think the I*
roles are (primarily service, e.g., IMO), and what those in those roles
have sometimes interpreted it as (oversight based on meritocracy).

The IESG and IAB are picked by NomComs for a variety of skills and
"fit" is a critical one.

Indeed. The primary metric of "fit" means:

        - is willing, available, and *financially* able to serve

Until we remove that last metric - where roles can take upwards of 80%
of someone's time, where letters of support from employers are
requested, if not required, we select from among an increasingly small
and increasingly biased (towards industry participants) subset.

Those selected to serve would serve us all better if they kept that in
mind more often.

Joe