Re: Should I* opinions be afforded a special status? (Re: [saag] Declining the ifare bof for Chicago)

2007-06-28 00:20:14
On 2007-06-27 20:46, Tony Li wrote:

I don't see increasing the areas; I see splitting them down as a
possible way. Leaving an AD at the top level with less work, and having
sub-ADs report to them.

It's well known that when dealing with a scalability issue, the way to address the issue is to install hierarchy. [Have you ever heard me say this before? ;-)] Adding another layer of management is therefore the obvious approach and a fine alternative to having co-ADs or more areas.

The downside to this is increased inefficiency and disconnect from reality.

I think the other issue is that this layer would be hard to fill in
our volunteer community. Being a WG Chair has its satisfactions, as does
being an AD or IAB member; I'm not quite sure what the satisfactions
in an intermediate position would be. That's why I'd rather push
work and responsibility into the 120 WGs, where there should be
compensating satisfaction in work well done.

    Brian