Re: Should I* opinions be afforded a special status? (Re: [saag] Declining the ifare bof for Chicago)

2007-06-12 18:26:05
I may well be misreading Lakshminath below.
But the note as written seems to say that ADs are only supposed to judge consensus.
That misses important parts of the point.
They are also selected for technical judgement, and expected to use that judgement. So, for example, an AD is NOT required to sponsor an individual submission, nor required to sponsor a BoF. If they think the topic is a bad idea, or not in the IETFs area, or otherwise would not make a good WG< they are supposed to say no. Heck, they are supposed to say no to some working group charter requests, even when their is interest. (For example if they think that the proposed work plan will not lead to an effective outcome.) To be specific, that judgement is to be used for a lot more than just prioritizing the work.

Now, they should say "no" clearly, with a good explanation of the reasons. And they should be open to hearing responses which may change their view. But that does not change the fact that they are expect to exercise judgement.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern