RE: selling IPv4 addresses vs. the POTS number model

2007-08-06 07:03:40
Quite, I don't see the relevance of the analogy. If there was actual demand for
a market in telephone numbers the technology could be established to make this
possible. Today the demand is only there in the business space where numbers
are very definitely traded.

Sanctions have to be credible. Telling people that they are required to give
away an asset that has become a scarce resource is not credible. Telling people
'oh dear no more IPv4 addresses left' is not credible. The authority of the
registries only lasts as long as they have product left in inventory to sell.

We cannot afford to indulge in faith based planning here.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Morris [mailto:dwm(_at_)xpasc(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 8:04 PM
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: selling IPv4 addresses vs. the POTS number model

I believe every POTS phone number is separately portable, at
least within the geographic area ... you can switch your POTS
number between providers and to cellular or VoIP providers.
Business numbers are transferable (and have been for longer
than general portability) ... in the case I was associated
with, my principals chose not to take over the failing
business' numbers only because to do so would have meant
paying significant delinquint bills.

Not that I believe there is a large market for the sale of
POTS numbers, just that at some level, exchange is possible.

You can also purchase a virtual phone number having the phone
company place a permenant forward in the switch to some other
location. Then you pay call charges based on the distance
between the virtual number's switch and the forwarded to number.