RE: e2e

2007-08-16 15:01:07

Is there an informational RFC that describes the overall email
architecture that is provided by the various IETF protocols? Such a

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-crocker-email-arch-09

This is nice but a draft is not an RFC. Hopefully it will progress and
can then become a starting point for a discussion about creating a more
workable architecture.

See http://www.irtf.org/charter?gtype=rg&group=asrg

Great. A web page last updated in 2003 and an email archive averaging 4
messages a month this year.

Bilateral agreements mean a complete change of the email
landscape.  Even then, I don't see how a small provider can
afford blocking a large ESP.

Now you are criticising an architecture document which does not yet
exist.

Sure, we can make part of the
spam problem go away temporarily by giving up some of the
functionality email provides.  Most people may be willing to
live with the restrictions until they experience the
drawbacks first-hand.

I live with these drawbacks every day. But I also remember how Internet
email was 15 years ago and I wonder if we can't stop the slide into
obscurity and regain the features that we have lost.

--Michael Dillon