Re: e2e

2007-08-21 19:32:05

Ted Hardie wrote:
As both of you know and understand, the email system was built to be an
any-to-any mesh. That's not just a design goal.

In looking at the thread before and after your note, I'm struck by the focus on technical issues, rather than human communication requirements. Internet mail supports a wide array of human comm styles and needs. The technology is useful for that breadth because it imposes as few limitations as possible.

When folks call for changes to the basic capabilities, they wave away segments of human communications.

We should be careful of doing that, let we really render email marginal.

In any event, when folks talk about making changes -- to add features, fight abuse, or whatever -- they should start with a non-technical discussion about what changes for the human experience of email. And they should develop consensus for that change.

Once they've got that, we'll probably be able to figure out how to engineer it.

Until the consensus is developed, these sorts of threads are repetitious theoretical exercises, of no pragmatic benefit.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking