Re: [Ietf-http-auth] Re: Next step on web phishing draft (draft-hartman-webauth-phishing-05.txt)

2007-09-10 10:23:19
Eric,

Eric Rescorla wrote:

At Mon, 10 Sep 2007 08:59:57 +0200,
Eliot Lear wrote:
Bernard,
I agree with EKR here. Failed consensus is failed consensus. RFC 2026 does not support the process that has been recommended here.
Perhaps Sam and Lisa can explain a bit more as to what process they intend to use. It seems that Alexey is providing a forum for discussion to improve the document, and I see nothing wrong with that. I would imagine that both the IESG and the community will still get their say, so what precisely is the problem?

This having been said, it seems to me that in order to address EKR's (and perhaps others') concerns, the document will need substantial work. I welcome efforts to improve that work. Where should that happen? Must Sam do it alone?
Sam can of course consult anyone who he chooses for opinions,
reviews, etc. However, Alexey's original message indicated
something rather different. Namely:

        Subsequent discussions and consensus calls on the document
        would happen on <ietf-http-auth(_at_)osafoundation(_dot_)org>.

        Alexey,
        in my capacity of shepherd for draft-hartman-webauth-phishing
On rereading my message, it probably came out stronger than I intended.
But according to my English-Russian dictionary the verb "would" can convey "polite request", which was my intent.

This document isn't a WG document and this mailing list is not a WG
list. It's inappropriate to hold any kind of "consensus calls".
Moreover, as there's no WG, Alexey isn't the chair and doesn't
have any authority to run a consensus or any other process.
I think you are reading too much into my message.
I didn't say that I will run any consensus calls, shepherding AD has the authority to do that. And you are correct of course that I don't have any authority in this case. I am just working for the shepherding AD, trying to help her in getting the document through IESG.

This document was taken to the IESG and didn't achieve consensus
in LC. It now has the same status as any other random individual
ID, nothing more nothing less.
Yes (the last sentence).

It is not yet clear to me if you have any problems with the document being discussed on http-auth mailing list. If you have, can you explain why and maybe suggest a better place for discussions?

And if you would like to suggest a better process for moving things forward, please share your opinion.

Regards,
Alexey