Re: ULA-C (Was: Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it)

2007-09-18 22:00:29
Thus spake "Tony Hain" <alh-ietf(_at_)tndh(_dot_)net>
Jari Arkko wrote:
Right. Or we can try to label it, but that labeling may not
correspond to what is actually done with it.

If you don't label it there is no clearly agreed way to filter these out
if you don't want them.

If they're truly "local" prefixes, they won't need to be filtered in the first place because they won't be advertised. If they're getting advertised, they're not "local" prefixes and presumably you don't want to filter them because there's someone at the other end who wants you to talk to them.

If you don't like PI routes at all, the RIRs have made it easy to filter them by assigning PI out of specific blocks and in much smaller sizes than LIR blocks. To channel Randy for a moment, I encourage my competitors to do this.

The people that are fighting having ULA-C are the same ones
that don't want PI, and they are trying to force ULA-C == PI so
they can turn that argument around and say 'we told you PI was
a bad idea' when there is no way to filter out what would have
been ULA-C.

I am a vocal supporter of PI and vocal detractor of ULA-C/G. In fact, the first time that ULA-C was proposed, I saw it for what it was (an end-run around the RIRs) and became a PI proponent; before that, I didn't really care either way.

Do not stuff words into people's mouths, particularly when they're watching.

If you really believe there is going to be a routing system
problem, then you absolutely have to support ULA-C because
it is the only way to enforce keeping private space private.

I believe there will be a routing system problem at some point, and it pains me that I was still forced to support PI anyways because the IETF has utterly failed to produce an alternative that is viable _in the views of the operational community_.

However, I do not believe the "problem" will be due to "local" routes at all; it will be due to the massive numbers of legitimate routes that having PI causes. However, without PI, there would be no routes at all because IPv6 would be ignored. PI is, unfortunately, the lesser of two evils.