Re: Daily Dose version 2 launched

2007-11-02 12:42:41
Hi Joel,

On 2007-11-02 18:00 Joel M. Halpern said the following:
I second John's note.  When I saw Pasi's note, I had assumed that he
was referring to a link off of the tools page.
Replacing the tools page with an activity summary is quite surprising.
Joel

Hmm.  I'm not sure exactly what's the issue here, so let's try to
explore this and see what we can find out.

Essentially, the change is two-fold:

1. The old lefthand list of links have been replaced by the same lefthand
   list of links which appear on all the WG and other tools pages, making
   for one less list of links to keep up-to-date manually.  This has been
   in the works for quite some time; I've tried to poll people on it, and
   most people seem to be happier with the lefthand menu on the WG pages
   than the front page menu.

2. Replacing the static text on the first page with a news item page.

   The static text that was replaced was as follows:

                        Welcome to the IETF Tools Pages

               These pages are maintained by the IETF Tools Team.

     The aim of these web-pages is to help the IETF community as follows:

     * Make it easy to find existing tools
     * Provide means of feedback on existing and new tools (wiki and mailing
       list)
     * Provide information on new and updated tools

     If you have comments on these pages, or ideas for new tools or for
     refinement of current tools, please send them to
tools-discuss(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_)

     For current tools, there may also be a page in the IETF tools wiki (in
     addition to the tools page you can reach through the menu to the left)
     which summarises proposals and known deficiencies - feel welcome to
     check this out, and contribute your information!

The way I see it, replacing that with a news summary would be a good
idea.  The text above was appropriate when the tools pages were being
established; they are now used by a lot of people, and the text above
seems to be a bit superfluous.

I could be wrong about that, and if so, an indication of how you
feel about the old and new page would be good.  Some options are:

   - You would specifically like to keep the text above (or some
   modification of it).

   - You agree that it's time for a re-working of the front page, but you
   don't want to have the latest happenings on the front page, you want
   them as a separate news page.

   - You don't care too much what's at the front page, as long as it's
   not too heavy-weight -- the major objection isn't to the news page as
   such, but to the increased size of the page *for you personally as a
   consumer of the page*

   - Some other option which I haven't understood the importance of yet,
   which you will be able to formulate better than I can here :-)

Please speak up and indicate as specifically as you can what's good and
bad about the change, and how we can improve it; and we'll try to make it
so!

Regards,

        Henrik