Re: IETF 72 --> Dublin!

2008-02-01 01:44:01
On 1 feb 2008, at 4:37, Dean Willis wrote:

Excuse me, but isn't this in the boonies way outside town? Are we
going to be stuck in a $200 a night hotel with no reasonable
alternative accommodations eating vastly overpriced hotel food and
facing a one-hour commute to anywhere else?

I agree that this is not ideal, but I was in much the same position in
Paris: no hotels in my price range near the congress center so I had
to commute halfway across Paris every day. (And the food was expensive
pretty much everywhere.)

It seems that all or at least most hotels in Dublin are in the city
center, which means a significant bus or taxi ride back and forth.
However, Dublin has lots of bed and breakfasts (I think I saw half of
them on my first trip to Dublin, when I didn't book a place to sleep
in advance and it turned out to be the date of a delayed saint
Patrick's day because of the foot and mouth disease). You may be able
to find one closer to the conference hotel.

For anyone who will be staying some extra days I suggest doing that
closer to the city center, which will probably save you money and that
way it's easy to explore Dublin by foot, which is absolutely worth a
blister or two. And I highly recommend the train ride between Dublin
and Belfast.