Re: ISO 3166 mandatory?

2008-02-20 16:28:02
On 20 feb 2008, at 21:26, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

So what the heck is wrong with UK (as in the country code TLD of the
same name),

It's true that there is a discrepancy between ISO 3166 and the root of
the DNS. Do not worry, David Conrad, IANA, reads this list and he will
certainly resolve the discrepancy today by renaming the TLD ".uk" to
".gb".

Don't joke about that. A few years ago I did some statistics on the
numbers of IPv4 addresses given out and I wrote this:

http://bgpexpert.com/addrspace2005.php

"In the list at the bottom of this page, there are numbers for both
"UK" and "GB". This is because the RIPE NCC uses the two letter code
"UK" for address space given out to entities in the UK. However, some
address space in the UK was given out by other registries, which use
the official country code for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and
Northern Ireland, which is "GB".
UPDATE feb 1

The total for 2005 is now 167.54 million addresses, and the RIPE NCC
has decided to use the official country code "GB" rather than the
commonly used code "UK" in its statistics from now on."

Not sure if RIPE still accepts "UK" but they now have "GB" in the RIPE
database. I'm not sure if the inhabitants of GB who deal with RIPE
found this amusing.