Re: ISO 3166 mandatory?

2008-02-20 10:55:06
Don't worry.  This problem effectively no longer occurs.  It has
been replaced by the following "feature":

(1) The Social event line, which we were never required to fill
in before, especially with a specific number of tickets, in
order to register for IETF, now reads "sold out".

(2) When one tries to submit the registration form, one gets a
rather nasty Python error that seems to be associated with
trying to convert "sold out" to a numeric value to calculate a
charge.

IAOC members: Since the transition, we've had

        * Several different examples of the I-D submission tool
        not accepting valid I-Ds (fixed serially)

        * The I-D submission tool declining to accept I-Ds
        because no one managed to correct it to reflect the
        actual deadline.

        * The introduction of indicating whether or not one
        wanted to attend the social and how many tickets were
        wanted as a condition of registration.

        * The certificate problems mentioned in another note.

        * This ISO 3166 code business, rather than, e.g., a
        country name.

While I'm generally very sympathetic and tolerant of transition
difficulties, there comes a point in which this looks like
systematic under-commitment of resources to testing and quality
control --or adoption of the industry practice of "put it out
there and let the users do the testing"-- a behavior that is
sometimes associated with "low bid" decisions.

How much more of this will it take before you conclude that we
have a problem?

     john

--On Wednesday, 20 February, 2008 17:23 +0000 lconroy