Re: ISO 3166 mandatory?

2008-02-20 22:58:09
Frank,

On Feb 20, 2008, at 6:57 PM, Frank Ellermann wrote:
They could make it worse if they add the "fantasy island codes".

They who?  I doubt ISO-3166 MA will be adding "fantasy island codes",
but if they do, IANA is not in a position to deny the creation of TLDs
representing those codes.  IANA doesn't make the codes and takes no
position on whether they should exist or not.  All IANA staff does is
check to see if the code is in the ISO-3166-1 list (including
"exceptionally reserved" codes, for good or ill -- again, not an IANA
decision) and if it is and the delegation of the TLD is appropriate,
the request is processed.

Let the relevant experts like Debbie or Stéphane decide if they
want more or less obscure territories listed as country or not,
the job of the governments, the UN, and the ISO 3166/MA.  Not
a job for a whois.iana.org admin, who might not know what it is:

??

We seem to be talking past each other.  IANA would obviously not
create delegations for those code elements unless duly authorized
requesters from the territories those codes designate requested it.  I
was merely indicating the IANA database should be consistent for
ISO-3166 codes that are not delegated.

If you don't think a code should exist, take it up with ISO-3166 MA.

Regards,
-drc