Re: ISO 3166 mandatory?

2008-02-20 19:10:16
Frank,

On Feb 20, 2008, at 5:24 PM, Frank Ellermann wrote:
Neither of those documents needs to be updated since IANA
and ICANN are still using ISO-3166.
When I ask whois.iana.org for CP, DG, EA, FX, IC, or TA it
tells me that there's no such TLD.

Well, yes.  They haven't been delegated yet.  Ah, I see the
discrepancy.  When you do a query against EH (for example) you get a
blank template but when you query against (say) FX, you get not
found.  Not sure why this is the case as it is clearly broken.  I'll
recommend it get fixed.

"That list" is not yellow or violet or red or blue fields in
the table, it is the green fields.  With grey as colour for
former green fields, TP is a whois.iana.org example for grey.

My understanding is "that list" was chosen for the "usable" codes.
"Exceptionally reserved" are usable with restrictions and using them
as TLDs doesn't appear to violate the restrictions.  Not sure I see
what the problem is.

Regards,
-drc