Re: ISO 3166 mandatory?

2008-02-20 18:23:56
David Conrad wrote:

Unfortunately IANA introduced EU as a new exception.

ICANN introduced the top-level domain for EU by request
of appropriate entities within the EU.

Yes, one of the "exceptionally reserved" codes, added to
the AC + UK club of exceptions.  That's 5+1-3 exceptions
in comparison with the list in RFC 3071 (published 2001).

IANA has permitted the use of codes ISO designates as
"exceptionally reserved" in ISO-3166 for quite some time

IANA forgot to update RFC 1591, and ICANN forgot to update
IDP-1, or are you talking about something else ?

Neither of those documents needs to be updated since IANA
and ICANN are still using ISO-3166.

When I ask whois.iana.org for CP, DG, EA, FX, IC, or TA it
tells me that there's no such TLD.  And the three remaining
"exceptionally reserved" codes are AC, EU, and UK.

If you look on the table at the URL I provided for decoding
ISO-3166-1

Thanks, I publish links to English and French versions of the
table for six years on <http://purl.net/xyzzy/bookmark.htm>.

I need it for <http://purl.net/xyzzy/src/rxwhois.cmd> with a
list of anything that remotely could be a TLD down to cases
like LOCAL, NATO, FIRM, ARTS, RB, RC, etc.  Stopping short
before the lala lands of "alternate roots" or the WIPO codes
(the violet codes in the table).

"exceptionally reserved" means "Code element may be used but
restrictions may apply".  None of the restrictions on those
codes have been violated by their use as TLDs.

| The IANA is not in the business of deciding what is and what
| is not a country.  The selection of the ISO 3166 list as a
| basis for country code top-level domain names was made with
| the knowledge that ISO has a procedure for determining which
| entities should be and should not be on that list.

"That list" is not yellow or violet or red or blue fields in
the table, it is the green fields.  With grey as colour for
former green fields, TP is a whois.iana.org example for grey.

It took an IETF WG about a year to brain wash me until I got
it, when they changed their mind allowing yellow excluding UK
I unsubscribed.

 Frank