Re: IONs & discuss criteria

2008-03-10 16:30:32
On Mar 9, 2008, at 10:56 PM, Ted Hardie wrote:

I think you and Tim (and potentially other ADs in areas that have
review
teams) are missing an opportunity here.  Over time, these  review
teams
have been grown to the point where they do their reviews at Last Call
or before.  That's a very good thing. One of the reasons it *could*
be a good thing
is to foster a culture of general cross area review.  If the Last
Call reviews by
SAAG, Transport, Applications, and so on were seen as positive
activities of the
areas, they could help encourage even earlier cross area review,
either by
those teams or the areas as a whole.  Since that is one of the main
selling
points of the IETF, that would be, let us say, nice.

To make that happen, though, you'd have to see them as your areas
feeding
Last Call comments into the general Last Call commentary stream.
Those
are resolved by the shepherds and  the area advisor, not by the
area directors
for the areas.  The way you're doing it now treats these reviews
differently,
as advice to the area director of a relevant area, to be resolved
differently.
In other words, it continues to make the individual IESG folks the
focus of the
activity.  That limits the benefits this review can provide, pretty
much, to
the benefit the IESG can absorb.  If the IESG isn't doing the early
review,
the review teams don't either.

To put this another way, having vibrant, active review teams for an
area
could be an area of leadership. Right now, it looks like they are
being used
soley as time-management aids for the ADs instead.  That's a real
opportunity
missed.
                                      Ted

Ted,

There is no intention to treat Last Call comments from individuals
differently than
those that come from a review team.   ADs *do* submit the same type
of procedural
discuss to ensure a response to Last Call comments that *weren't*
generated by
a review team.  I'll agree that such discusses are more commonly
associated with
Last Call comments from review teams.  That shouldn't be surprising.
For many
documents, the only cross area reviews come from the review teams.

However, I also expect that Last Call comments that *weren't*
generated by a review
team are more likely to fall through the cracks.   I know that I am
more sensitive to the
security directorate reviews than Gen-ART reviews or other Last Call
comments.   In
addition to being assigned more or less on my behalf, they are
focused on issues near
and dear to my heart.  I try to read all the Last Call comments, but
when reviews focus
on issues I don't understand or don't find compelling, I move on.  In
that case, I will not
notice that a response did not occur.  I suspect that other ADs
suffer from similar human
foibles.

Thanks,

Tim Polk