Re: experiments in the ietf week

2008-03-14 14:39:29
As some of you might have noticed, some GEOPRIV participants ran a small
experiment, using the IETF network as a base for location-based
services.  We had a few folks try it, and learned a lot, but three main
things:

1. Interworking with the IETF NOC was really pleasant (Thanks, guys!)

2. James Winterbottom's location server worked really well and
integrated easily with the IETF network.

2. The client software I wrote successfully interworked with the
location server in test cases, but failed badly in real life

Overall, prototyping these technologies was a really positive experience
for us, one that I would recommend to other WGs.  We're certainly
planning on making another effort at it in Dublin!

--Richard

Jari Arkko wrote:
I really enjoyed the IPv6 experiment, thanks to everyone who was
involved. Obviously, the experiment and a couple of other recent things
(like moving to AMS service) made things move forward in a number of
different places, our own computers, IETF computers, various people's
own and company sites, etc. Perhaps the most notable achievement here
was ipv6.google.com. That was really great, thank you Google!

But the experiment was useful also in other ways, not only as an
operational/deployment action. The two experiments that I attended
(NANOG and IETF) have changed my and maybe other people's opinions too
on some of the technical issues. I think it helps us see clearer on what
are the things that the IETF needs to do in this space. We will see
follow-ups on this.

We should also implement future IPv6 experiments and network deployments.

But why I'm really sending this e-mail is to suggest that IPv6 might not
be the only topic for such future efforts. Here's a challenge for the
RAI folks: What about SIP, as in every plenary participant making SIP
calls to each other. Doable?

Challenge for our IT folks: Internationalized Internet Drafts, including
file names. Doable?

ietf.pana in addition to ietf.1x. Doable?

Etc

Jari