Re: Last Call: draft-freed-sieve-environment (Sieve Email Filtering: Environment Extension) to Proposed Standard

2008-03-18 07:26:45
Hi Sam,

Sam Hartman wrote:

I find the string "MUA" meaning anything that happens after delivery
confusing.  I'd suggest another string--possibly "POST-MDA" and
reserve "MUA" for sieve scripts actually executed inside a MUA.

I don't think POST-MDA is any better. For typical Sieve "post delivery"
is always MUA.
But now that there is a proposal to run Sieve in IMAP, there is another
post delivery point of Sieve script execution: IMAP (or MailStore).

Alternatively perhaps "MUA" could mean the script is executed at the
direction of the MUA.

No, this is not what MUA specified in the draft means.

That's not quite the same thing as
post-delivery.

Correct. A script generated by MUA and executed by MTA/MDA will have the
value "MTA" or "MDA" respectively.