Re: Last Call: draft-freed-sieve-environment (Sieve Email Filtering: Environment Extension) to Proposed Standard

2008-03-19 13:38:51
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Ned Freed wrote:

Not really. The information environment supplies is, as the name implies,
about
the environment things are operating in. This includes information about the
Sieve interpreter, the host it is running on, and the network. The last item
includes connection information, which is in no way specific to a particular
message - a connection can  relate to many messages.

However the information about the interpreter and the host are essentially
static - they don't change over the run-time of the server or even longer
periods - whereas connection information is dynamic.

That may be the case in your implementation, but it most assuredly is NOT in
ours. Indeed, in one of our typical highly distributed deployments things like
the host where the interpreter is running will change almost as often as the
remote IP address. (There won't be nearly as many possible values, of course,
but we're talking rate of change here, not range of values.)

Hopefully the sieve product and interpreter version will be relatively stable
in most cases, but while we don't recommend it we do see large scale
deployments running mixtures of different software versions or even (shudder)
different products. I see ihave as a more effective tool for dealing with such
environments, but people actually writing scripts (or perhaps more importantly
the people writing code that generates scripts) may or may not agree with me on
this.

The fact that
multiple messages can be delivered on the same connection is a detail that
usually doesn't matter to users or even admins, so it's usually simpler to
treat it as a property of the message not of the platform.

Well, I agree that it shouldn't matter, but the fact is it is not at all
uncommon for people to use the number of message delivered per session as a
filtering criteria. (Before anyone starts railing about how stupid this is,
please note that the current environment specification provides no means to
access this information.)

                                Ned