Re: Proposals to improve the scribe situation

2008-08-04 07:26:50

On Aug 4, 2008, at 9:26 AM, Matthew J Zekauskas wrote:

One thought that came up this week -- a second projector showing the current Jabber chat... or even just switching to it during long Q&A sessions. This might more easily allow some of the qustioners in. Actually, it probably gives them priority over folks at the mic, so maybe it's not such a good idea.

DY> I've been to conferences where some chat room was broadcast on a second screen in the room as a "backchannel". Typically it was an IRC chat room or a Twitter feed tied to a keyword or hashtag. While I applauded the efforts to make the sessions more "open", I found it incredibly distracting to have that second screen there. People seemed to follow that chat instead of following the listener... resulting in the oddity of people sitting in the audience watching the screen to see what people in the audience thought about the person talking to the audience! (And then some were writing in the chat room about the people watching the chat room to see the people writing about.....)

DY> Having a second screen would certainly increase the ability of remote participants to communicate, but I would wonder about how you then integrate those questions in with people waiting patiently at the microphone. I could also very easily see people *in the room* using it as a way to post questions as well and jump over the mic line. (Which has also happened to me with our current system where I've 'jumped the line' to relay a question for someone in the chat room only to find out later that they were in the same room but just didn't want to go to the mic line.)

My 2 cents,
Dan

--
Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     dyork(_at_)voxeo(_dot_)com

Build voice applications based on open standards.
Find out how at http://www.voxeo.com/free