Re: Proposals to improve the scribe situation

2008-08-04 07:18:37
Answers inline prefixed with "DY>" answering both Spencer's and Marshall's points:

On Aug 4, 2008, at 12:00 AM, Spencer Dawkins wrote:

Hi, Marshall,

Speaking as a scribe...

My biggest obstacle to using jabber for scribing is that we still (used to be frequently, now very rarely, but it happened in Dublin) experience networking problems on the wireless LAN. The typical Monday morning problems of long ago kept me from trying it for about two years ("once burned, twice shy").

DY> Yes, either the wireless network - or the *Jabber server* - can potentially be a serious challenge. I was a frequent Jabber scribe at IETF 71 in Philadelphia in the RAI sessions and those of you who attended those sessions will recall my quite frequent trips to the mic to say for the remote attendees who were listening to the audio stream something like "the jabber server is done. help has been requested" or "the jabber server is back up".

DY> Having said that, the Jabber server performance was rock solid at IETF 72 (and I know we switched to using a new Jabber server) and I saw no issues whatsoever with its performance as a remote attendee. I did, though, see comments from a few of the folks who were Jabber- scribing saying that they were having wireless network access problems in a few of the rooms there.

Beyond that ... so how many working groups have formal secretaries?

DY> Certainly an excellent idea for working groups.

Marshall wrote:

1.) Is it really necessary to have a jabber scribe and a regular scribe as a separate position ? We had 117 sessions in Dublin, finding 234 scribes is clearly harder than finding 117.

DY> I think there is value in having two separate roles. In my view, the "regular" scribe is there to record the activities and particularly the *actions* of the working group. The notes from the regular scribes can be a great asset for the chairs and can also be an excellent resource for people who were unable to attend. For instance, I have several times in the past found Spencer's detailed minutes extremely helpful in catching up with what happened at a RAI meeting that I could not attend.

DY> I also personally see value in an edited set of "minutes" for a meeting along the lines of those produced by regular scribes. A chatroom log file is not the same as it is filled with other conversations (as well as the inevitable notices from Jabber clients as they join/leave the room).

DY> In contrast, I see the Jabber scribe primarily as the connection to remote participants (where "remote" could be people who are not attending the meeting or who may be at the meeting but in another session). There is a degree of interactivity here that is not true of the regular scribe. The Jabber scribe needs to be able to relay questions from those in the Jabber room, answer questions the remote participants may have ("which slide are we on?"), etc. That necessary interactivity, though, may distract the Jabber scribe from the detailed note-taking the regular scribe may be doing.

DY> Like you, Marshall, I have found the Jabber scribe to be immensely helpful in such ways as filling in speakers' names. When I was a regular scribe at IETF 71, I was *also* monitoring the Jabber scribe for exactly this kind of information, which I then recorded in the regular minutes.

2.) Would it be possible to have a volunteer list for scribes in advance of the meeting ?

DY> Definitely a good idea. For a couple of the working groups I follow, the chairs sent out the request for scribes (regular and Jabber) several days in advance.

I would even suggest 2 - a list of people willing to volunteer in general, and a agenda or calendar with slots in each session for the scribe for that session.

DY> Good idea.

3.) A minor point, but I would urge WG chairs to formally designate someone (possibly themselves) to relay questions from jabber. This seems to fall to the jabber scribe, even though it is impossible to stand at the
mike and scribe at the same time !

DY> For me I dealt with this by sitting very close to the mic for the sessions in which I knew I was going to be a Jabber scribe. In several sessions the chairs were also clear that the Jabber scribe could "jump to the front of the line" and stand up quickly to relay a question, which was very helpful.

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     dyork(_at_)voxeo(_dot_)com

Build voice applications based on open standards.
Find out how at http://www.voxeo.com/free