Re: Proposals to improve the scribe situation

2008-08-04 01:03:58
Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

Now that we have audio for all sessions (although sometimes the
quality is far from ideal) is it really necessary to repeat
everything that's being said in jabber?

I think the jabber scribe function should be reduced to announcing
new speakers and giving some hints about which slides are on the
screen.  The jabber room can then be used by local and remote
participants as an extra channel rather than a reduced bandwidth
copy of the audio.

It helps to have a good approximation of what later ends up in
the minutes on jabber.  As you say the audio was sometimes not
good:  Not loud enough to hear anything while pressing my ear
to the speaker, a position where I can't see the jabber room ;-)

On another day there were two intersting sessions at the same
time - actually more, but I tried two, one with jabber + audio,
the other only jabber.

A "reduced bandwidth" version of the audio could in fact help,
but good scribes - again thanks to those who volunteered, and
to folks channeling remote remarks - are more important.

All this doesn't prevent folks from using jabber as an extra
channel.

 Frank